Transit Oriented Development Extra Credit Project
Spring Semester 2018
This extra credit project will be graded and the grade will replace your lowest test grade.
Project is due
3:00 pm, Tuesday, May 8., 2018
What you need to turn in:
Part 1: Write a 2-3 page, single-spaced, paper on Transit-Oriented Development. The paper should answer the following questions:
- What is Transit Oriented Development? Identify and explain T.O.D principles and why Transit Oriented Development was created.
- Explain why cities are returning to fixed rail (subways, light rail, commuter rail, etc) as a form of mass transit.
- How does Transit Development change the area around the transit stations economically, socially, and environmentally?
- What are the criticisms of Transit Oriented Development?
Part 2: Create a 2-4 page write-up (1-2 pages of text, 1-2 pages of pictures) of T.O.D in Denver. Visit the following rail stations: Englewood Station (Santa Fe and Hampden) and Belleview Station (Belleview Ave. and I-25). Use the aerial pictures and walk the areas around the stations (walk a few blocks in each direction) and answer the following questions:
- How well do these areas adhere to the principles of Transit Oriented Development? Take pictures of the things that are consistent with TOD principles as well as things that are inconsistent with TOD principles. You should appear in each picture.
- Identify problems with access that each station has for pedestrians. How could they be solved?
- Identify 2 areas around each station that could be developed (empty lots, buildings that could be scraped, etc) and explain how they could be developed in ways more true to T.O.D principles.